ΜBiochemical and Molecular Diagnostics (ΜΚ1)
Lectures: G.Amoutzias, P. Georgiadis, P. Zouboulakis, M. Kontou, P. Markoulatos, K. Mathiopoulos, D. Μitsiou, Ν. Balatsos, Α. Pintzas
Focus of this course
Biochemical and Molecular diagnostics represents a scientific field that has revolutionized our approaches in healthcare, from early detection of a disease to personalized medicine, or in prenatal testing. It is increasingly used for the detection of pathogens in human and in the environment. The new technologies and the wide spectrum of applications make molecular diagnostics market perhaps the fastest growing field in laboratory medicine that is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period.
In this frame, the course presents biochemical- and molecular-based diagnostic methods and technologies related to human healthcare and the environment under the market interest. Upon completion of the classes, the students should have acquired a broad image of the current and –importantly- the future diagnostic techniques, as well as the business applications and perspectives in the field.
Summary of lectures:
- Introduction to biochemical and molecular diagnostics.
- Biochemical and molecular diagnostics methods and applications
- PCR-based analyses
- Next generation sequencing
- Pyrosequencing and applications in molecular diagnostics
- Immunological methods of diagnosis
- Molecular cytogenetics, prenatal diagnosis
- Next generation biomarkers; non-coding RNAs and business perspectives